Monday, May 5, 2014

The Blessings from Illness

Hannah got sick December 20th, which was her last day of school before Christmas break. From December 20 until mid February she ran fever of 103 or higher, and when your child runs fever, you can't bring them to school. So when all the other students went back to school on January 7, Hannah couldn't return with the rest of her class. And as each day passed, she continued to run fever and could not go to school.

  I knew that after a certain number of absences, we were going to run into trouble academically. Her doctor gave her a long-term medical excuse, but after talking with several teachers and our principal about doing "homebound" with Hannah, they advised against it, saying it wouldn't be beneficial for Hannah considering that homebound teachers only provide services for a child for about four hours a week. 

Four hours- for the WHOLE WEEK. 

That wouldn't work. 

So I started asking questions. What do people do with a sick child?? How do you homeschool your kid when you have a J-O-B?? I was terrified and worried and I felt so helpless since I had to be at school everyday. I would have given ANYTHING to be able to stay at home with her. But since that wasn't an option, I cried out to God to figure out what to do with my bright, sweet, sick little girl. 

But here's the thing: throughout this painful time in our lives, God had a plan.
He had a plan for Hannah's life.
It wasn't clear to me what it was because I was inundated with thermometers, Tylenol and Advil alternating every 4 hours, cold rags, and long sleepless nights.
But He had a plan.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, 
who have been called according to his purpose."
~ Romans 8:28

Then one day, the first blessing happened.
The first blessing is my mom.


My mom has worked for as long as I've been alive. And though she is in her late 60s, she did not have any plans on retiring. But when Hannah got sick, all that changed. My mom called me to tell me that she decided to retire so that she could stay home with Hannah and home school her.

I got a good mama.

Now, just to be clear, my mom LOVED her job. Loved the people she worked with. Loved getting up early and getting dressed up for work. She had no intention of leaving work even though she was fully vested in the company and was of the age to retire.

I do NOT see how we are related...

And it all happened REALLY fast. She made her decision to retire and within just a couple of weeks, she gave her notice, cleaned out her office, and we were making plans to homeschool Hannah.

Homeschooling is the second blessing.
I'll tell you more about that next time.


I think of my mama when I read this verse in Proverbs 31:28-29, 
"Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 
“Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” 



Thank you, mama, for giving Hannah and I the most precious gift that you could ever give- yourself.  
Because of you, Hannah is able to stay home in a warm, loving environment where she can heal completely without pressure to hurry back to school. The time and energy you're investing in Hannah is invaluable, immeasurable, and precious. The bond you two have and the memories you are making with each other will last a lifetime. 

Thank you.
Hannah and I love you. 

1 comment:

  1. Awww, so beautifully said. Yes, I leave the house everyday with your mom and Hannah doing the Pledge of Allegiance, and then on to Bible. Both singing at the top of their lungs praising God. Then they bow in prayer. It is so precious. Yes, God only God could have engineered this entire scenario.

    ReplyDelete